The first Mauser-pattern rifle produced in Yugoslavia was the M24. Its predecessor, the FN Model 1924 had been produced for the Yugoslav army by FN Herstal until the Ministry and FN signed a contract on the purchase of the licence for production of rifles 7.9 mm M 24. Nearly all M24’s were produced either before or during World War II, at the Kragujevac Arsenal plant. The M24 and Model 1924 are nearly identical.
The final additions to the M24 family were the M24/47 and M24/52 rifles. Both were produced by reworking existing prewar Serbian Model 24 Mausers and then refurbished with newer Belgian parts during World War II at the Zastava Arms (formally Kragujevac Arsenal) plant, which was at that time under the control of the postwar communist government. “47” and “52” indicate the beginning of the rebuild program for each respective model: 1947 for the M24/47 and 1952 for the M24/52. One common misconception is that the M24/47 rifles were produced only in 1947; actually, the rebuild program lasted into the early 1950s alongside new production of M48 rifles. Minor cosmetic differences exist between the M24/47 and M24/52, but the rifles are nearly identical to one another and to their predecessors, the Model 1924 and M24.
M24 series rifles were used by the Royal Yugoslav Army and by nearly all sides during World War II in Yugoslavia.